Friday 19 February 2016

An industrial Valentine's card.

I am delighted to be a Guest Designer over at one of my favourite challenges, A Vintage Journey, today. Do pop over and join the fun here. When I was contacted before Christmas and advised the theme would be Industrial I must admit initially I thought.....omgoodness what on earth was I going to make? I am not a hugely "industrial grungy" girl but after some research and idea bashing I decided to get out the one "industrial" style Tim Bigz die I own, the weathered clock. I also decided to work with foil as it was something different.......little did I know that Professor Holtz would also use a foil technique for his January remix tag! I also thought that I would twist things slightly and as it was February that I would make a Valentine card for my Hb.

Here is how I went about creating my Industrial Valentine's card.

I used my weathered clock die to cut 2 textured clocks from foil covered grunge paper which had been texture embossed.  I made some hearts in the same way which I embossed after cutting.

 I made a metallic background for my card using strips of aluminium from a roll bought in my local Building Merchants shop.

I added lots of texture and faux rivets using any tools on hand and then painted  on black acrylic paint which I wiped back.  I also added some alcohol inks.
I then gave it a sanding with some sandpaper to distress it.
I coloured the hearts with red alcohol ink.
I also added some paint to the weathered clock die cuts and cut them up.
I also white embossed some Tim Holtz die cut words
Then it was time to put on my creative hat and play and this is what I came up with.....a very Industrial Valentine's card for my Hb.
 I love this scratched up distressed surface
 and the way it contrasts with the smooth red hearts and words.

 I would like to enter my card into the following challenges;

Noor UK  love
That Craft Place 1/3 anything goes
Frilly and Funkie 1/3 love is in the air
Anything but cute grungy love
Mixed media world  love is in the air
Creative Inspirations 2/3 anything goes with a sketch option
Love to create 2/2 anything creative #4
Moving along with the times 1/3 words only
Crafty boots  no stamps allowed

I had a lovely Valentine's day on Sunday. It was also the 36th anniversary of our engagement. My Hb isn't a flowers man but he is a sweet romantic. We don't always buy gifts but this year as well as my card he handed me this


and inside I found
The sweetest heart purse. It is also raising money for the British Heart Foundation, what a great idea.
I continued the heart theme with chocolates (of course) which I gave to him.
 In the centre is one heart shaped choc just for him but the rest of course I had to share with him, didn't I?
I might also have to ask him for the box back.....hmmm I could have fun upcyling that ;0)

Thanks as always for visiting me and if you are a first time visitor today you are most welcome  and I hope you enjoyed seeing my process for my card.

I have another Guest designer post coming up on Monday for Crafty Boots. It features quite an unusual wedding card so do come back and take a peep.

Bye for now, have a lovely crafty weekend. We' re off to catch up with Daisy and Co tomorrow ;0)

Jane x

29 comments:

  1. Fabulous Industrial Card Jane it is lovely to be traveling with you at AVJ today
    MaggieH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely wonderful Industrial Valentine's card - such a cool background for those lush red hearts! I bet your hubby loved it! And the chocs too! The Radley purse is adorable! It's been fun meeting at AVJ xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What what a gorgeous grungy creation!! I just love the look you achieved with the eroded metals, and your layering is fantastic!! I love how you lined up your hearts to use as a base for your sentiment, and the white really pops against the blacks and red! Thank you so much for joining us at Anything But Cute for our 'Grungy Love' challenge! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

    What a lovely gift, such a sweet purse! Happy Anniversary Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous take on the industrial theme, and big congratulations to you on your Guest Designer gig at AVJ! It was a pleasure to see you there "in the flesh".

    I love the grungy metal goodness going on here! Adding those pops of red and then the white sentiments layered on top of that just make my heart skip a beat, and I'm sure your husband's did, too, when he opened his card! Happy 36th!!!

    Thank you for joining our Grungy Love challenge at Anything But Cute. Hugs! Sara Emily

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jane,

    I would have been very intimidated by the theme here but you did wonders once again!
    Bravo, the metal effect is terrific!
    Thanks for sharing your Valentine's gifts with us, how sweet indeed and as soon as I saw the heart shaped box I knew your creative mind would be getting to work...

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great techniques Jane, I love how the red hearts 'pop' out from the background!
    I bought my Hb some Lindor too which I also helped him to eat!! ;)
    Wishing you a happy weekend my friend,
    V x

    ReplyDelete
  7. A fantastic creation! Thanks for playing at Creative Inspirations! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucky you with that fab purse and those gorgeous chocs. Love your card the metallic effect is superb and I love how the red heart. Thanks for joining in at Crafty Boots Challenges this time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an outstanding industrial styled Valentines card Jane and fab techniques. Your alcohol ink hearts really pop against your background.
    Beautiful pressie from your hubby too.
    Have a great weekend, Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous card Jane, amazing interpretation of the Industrial challenge at AVJ and what a beautiful card to give to your hubby! Thanks so much for sharing it with us and congratulations on your feature at A Vintage Journey! Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing card, Jane. I hope you win the contests! Looks like you had a wonderful Valentine's day. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think this is beautiful! I appreciate your description of how you obtained your textures and shapes, etc. You did not leave anything out. I am not a person to copy any project but the techniques are important for me to try - most everything I read leaves so much out so I am left stumbling and extremely frustrated! I just want to learn ....A very heart felt thank you! I hope you win every single challenge you sent this card technique to!!!!! What a remarkable project and description!!!!! Kudos to you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW, this looks amazing, thanks for joining us at MAWTT, xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a fabulous male card and perfect for our theme over at MAWTT. Good luck. Christine DT

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's always really interesting to read about your card making techniques Jane and your design is beautiful as always! I love your purse and such a lovely idea that it is raising money for such a very worthy cause too...(we're also huge Lindor fans in our house ♥)
    Happy Sunday,
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  16. You sure nailed the "industrial" challenge Jane. FANTASTIC work.
    Aww, and I love that after so long together you still sometimes buy Valentine's pressies. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous card, I love the metallic look and I was fascinated to read the technique you used. Thank you for sharing your work with all of us at Crafty Boots Challenges.

    Dionne

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this industrial card with all the foil and wonderful pops of red. Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back again to say thanks for joining us at Anything But Cute too.

      Delete
  19. Gorgeously grungy make Jane!
    Thank you for joining our Grungy Love challenge at Anything But Cute!
    Hugs

    Samra DT
    Paper Talk with Samra

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Jane,

    A beautiful creation BUT I was immediately drawn to that purse, what a lovely surprise! I would love to have something similar too, I need to google that brand! And I know M would not mind you having the chocolate box ;), I cant wait to see how you will customize it!

    Happy creating!

    Yours,
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Jane, as a Radley fan, I just love that little heart purse! Your Valentine creation is beautiful too, I love eroded metal and it looks so beautiful on your project and the hearts and words give such a wonderful 'pop' of colour!
    Thanks so much for joining in our 'Grungy Love' challenge at Anything But Cute. Anne DT :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is fantastic Jane! I love the metallic effect and those hearts! Ooooh! Thanks so much for joining us for the "Love is in the Air" challenge over at Frilly & Funkie.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Some like it hot, hot, hot! Your valentine is so hot! How thoughtful of you to give your husband a gift he can share! There seems to be a lot of grungy industrial people out there and they are loving your card!
    sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love your industrial take on our theme, great piece. Thanks for joining us at MMW this month
    Love
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  25. A beautiful industrial Valentines Jane! And your hubby is definitely a keeper with that gift! Thank you so much for being a Guest at A Vintage Journey and for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, what a fab card, and so different... love it! <3 Thank you for joining us at Noor! Design UK challenges. Wish you luck for the drawing and hope to see you again next round.
    Hugs, Karina
    DT member Noor! Design UK

    ReplyDelete
  27. Stunning card. Thanks for joining us at That Craft Place, Nicola X

    ReplyDelete
  28. Fabulous card, love the whole industrial theme going on. Thanks for playing along with MMW hugs Debs xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; I really enjoy reading every single one of them.

To comply with the new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) May 2018 I wish to state that any comments left here are with your consent that your name & comment are visible to anyone who visits my blog and that you accept that your personal information is being used for that specific purpose.

Jane x