Friday 11 July 2014

Beside the seaside

I had a wonderful seaside day out with my DD and Daisy last week. We met at Southsea, near Portsmouth and my daughter had found a super cafe for us to enjoy our ladies' lunch. I had never visited Southsea, it is a very pretty seaside resort. As I parked I noticed a fun boating lake as well as rose gardens which we also visited. All of this plus the seaside too.....a perfect combination.
When Daisy is bigger we will take one of these fun peddle boats out.
The nearby swing park had baby swings and Daisy loves to be swung gently.
We also took a stroll through the very pretty rose gardens, the scent was intoxicating





We strolled through the gardens on the way to our lunch spot, The 10th Hole, a cafe in a renovated Park Pavilion overlooking a small Pitch and Putt course. It is highly rated on line and it did not disappoint. We had delicious sandwiches followed by cakes to die for.


There is inside and outside seating and it is very child friendly with highchairs and the best baby changing facilities we have recently found. When you have an 8 month old granddaughter these are things which are very important with any ladies' lunches. The decor was very vintage and everything was spotlessly clean.
After our delicious sandwiches we chose a piece of cake to share....there was so much choice it took us a while to decide...this was just a quarter of those on sale and everyone is handmade.
 We settled on a slice of strawberry and cream cake...omgoodness it was cake heaven with fresh cream and strawberries. You can see the size of it as that is my daughter's outstretched hand next to it. Needless to say we shared this.
and Daisy had fun chasing a piece of strawberry around the table

After lunch we enjoyed a stroll along the sea front. There was a lovely cool breeze



and we fell in love with the colours of these beach huts

It was a wonderful day, such precious time together. We said our goodbyes and as I drove home I decided that my next crafting project would be a Moment of this special day and I would use these "ice cream" colours of the beach huts as my base colours. I also had a happy accident with a photo I was printing. I wanted to print this photo out to given to my parents of their granddaughter and great granddaughter
 However my printer ran out of photo ink as I printed it and I got the image below instead. I was going to throw it away but I really loved the blue hazy reflective effect it gave and decided it would be perfect to use as the central focal in my Moment.

The next day after work I headed down to my studio and painted some acrylics onto watercolour paper. I chose blue for a sky plus those "ice cream" colours I saw on the beach huts. I also scratched some texture using my rubber texture tools. I put on a couple of layers, overlapping them quite randomly.

 I coloured some grunge paste and added some texture by pressing it through a stencil
 I also added some more depth with my clock TH stencil and some Squeezed Lemonade DI.

I recently bought some seaside themed stamps from Crafty Individuals and added some stamping with Salty Ocean and Vintage photo distress ink. I cut out my photo and also used some seaside die cuts and  chit chat words to finish everything off. Here is my finished Moment.

Here are a couple of close ups

I love my new Memorybox  crab die and will be using him lots. The shell dies are Marianne (I think!)

I smile when I look it and it brings back memories of a perfect day with my girlies, cake and the seaside; the best of combinations. It will be joining my other Moments in Jane's Journal.

I would like to enter my Moment into the following challenges;

Country View Stencil it
Natalie and Amy summertime
Artistic Stamper By the seaside
Anything but a card anything goes
Simon Says Monday start from scratch
Crafty Cardmakers under the sea
Whimsy stamps summertime
A Vintage Journey Dies and distress

I would like to thank everyone for the really kind comments you left for me on my last post. My seaside tag seems to have gone down really well. Thank you, you are all very supportive of my work and I really appreciate your encouraging words.  

Yesterday we had another day of excitement as my Hb took the day off work and we  met our daughter, SIL and Daisy at the Hampton Court Flower show. The weather was looking rather unsettled but luckily it stayed dry all day and we enjoyed a picnic on the grass too.  I took my trusty camera and will be back soon to share a post of my floral day out.  Today I have the day off work but no leisure fun today...I am attending a conference in London and will find out some of the latest research and ideas for treating back pain. It should be very interesting. I must dash as I have a train to catch.  Enjoy the upcoming weekend,

Back soon,

Bye for now,

Jane x

23 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a wonderful day out with your girlies, Jane! Such pretty photographs and I have to agree with your happy accident, it creates a great effect! I love the idea of your 'moments' and it's so less daunting than scrapbooking - something else I keep saying that I am going to do! Have a wonderful weekend! Hugs, Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my Jane what a perfect day with all your lovelies!! The sea, fun lunch spot, roses and DD and Daisy, LIFE is GRAND!!! So happy you get so many precious moments with your loved ones. And your card this week says it ALL. A true keepsake for your journal! Loved catching up with you! xoRobin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your use of colour and texture Jane and the fab photo of the girls. A day to remember and captured perfectly. Thanks for sharing it at A Vintage Journey. xx hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, your photos are awesome & just love them!
    Great layout, perfect page to save your wonderful memories from your ladies lunch date!

    Thank you for sharing with us at Natalie & Amy's this month, good luck!
    Hugs Shell xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a while since I visited Southsea. Your lovely photos invoked some good memories.

    Love your seaside scrap layout, although strictly our challenge was 'under' the sea, I am happy to let this one slide in because you have got shells etc. and they start off beneath the waves!

    Hope to see you back again soon

    Lin
    Crafty Cardmakers and More

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely seasidey day out, nothing like the British seaside when the sun shines!
    Daisy looks like she has a lot to say about being on the swing. :)
    What a slice of cake!!!
    Love your memory page, that's a really good use of the photo, it looks great!
    Looking forward to Hampton Court Palace!
    Happy weekend my friend,
    V x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jane! What a fun day you girls had.. and Daisy looks like she's having the time of her life! Swinging, berries.. and cake! What a good grammy you are! I love how creative you were with your out-of-ink photo! You are amazing.
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a pretty design! Thanks for joining at Whimsy Stamps: Summertime
    Hugs
    Dewi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jane! That was a lovely day in a beautiful place! How and WHO uses those beach huts? Wow, what cakes! Your card is beautiful and the idea for the photo great. I thought First that you made it on purpose 'blueish'. Have a lovely weekend! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jane, what a lovely day out you had, I've made a note of the cafe for possible future visits, I used to date a sailor (naval officer) who lived in Southsea so spent some time there in my 20's but haven't really been back since, we need to spread our wings more as a family and try new places, I think. So nice to see a photo of Daisy on the swing, she is growing so quickly, but you don't need me to tell you that, I'm sure. Lovely 'moment' as well, I think collecting moments in a journal is such a nice idea. Bethxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jane...great photographs TFS. Your journal page is lovely ...I especially like the colours you have used. Great background using the TH stencil and inks. Great to have you on board this fortnight at A Vintage Journey
    Hugs Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fab journal page, i like all the different layers of colour you have used.
    Thansks for joining our under the sea challenge at CCM&M.
    Jules DT

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful day! I really like your tag in the last post too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Terrif journal page and some lovely photos! Thanks for sharing.
    Viv.
    CCM DT

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Jane, Have enjoyed both of your seaside posts. Very inspiring visits. Love the sea horse tag and M and D creation, too.
    Thanks for taking us along to the sea.
    Kisses to Daisy and Billy!!

    Anne and all xx
    PC22

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow so many fabulous photo's and cake mmmmmmmm which I can now eat :) love the seaside scene too just gorgeous
    Hugs Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi again, Jane! Can't think what you would want daisy puches for?! ;P
    I have 3 sizes of Crafts Too ones, 0.5", 1" and 1.5". I score them along each petal then ink and pinch them to create more dimension. Hope this helps. Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fun post. And great journal pages. Very beautiful. Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a gorgeous seaside day out you had with your girlies, Jane! And such lovely beach huts and other pretty sights to see too! Your scrapbook moment captures it all so well, that is really one to treasure!
    Happy week ahead!
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous page, love the colours, photo and how you added the words.
    Dafne

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your moment Jane and that post is delicious!
    Your DD and Daisy are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello Jane,

    Lovely, lovely pictures, both the coast-views and your darling girls! And that cake, wow!

    You captured a beautiful day perfectly for your journal, wonderful job!

    Wishing you a happy mid-June and many Daisy-days!

    Yours,
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  23. I do love the wonderful ice cream colours you have used in your journal page and the stenciling is wonderful. Thanks so much for joining in at A Vintage Journey. Anne x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; I really enjoy reading every single one of them.

To comply with the new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) May 2018 I wish to state that any comments left here are with your consent that your name & comment are visible to anyone who visits my blog and that you accept that your personal information is being used for that specific purpose.

Jane x