Saturday 13 October 2012

Happy New Year (of silversmithing)

I am sure that my post title took you buy surprise until you read that recently it was a  New Year for me to re start my silversmithing classes. The course resumed 2 weeks ago and this will be my 10th year. Last years' course finished in June and the break until late September always seems like such a long time but this year, with the wedding, Olympics and everything else, I was actually quite glad to have the break. I was raring to go back and start creating some new pieces. I have not shown you some of the projects I worked during the summer term of last year's course so although a little overdue, here is one of them. This project was a design challenge set by our tutor Liz. We had to create a design using 4 out of the 9 items on the list with the optional  brief of "A Bug's life".



Now when I first saw the list my first thoughts were hmmmm, not sure about this..... I am not usually a girl who goes for mixing metals but I decided that any challenge is always good for creativity so I bit the bullet and chose from the list; sterling silver 4 X 4cm sheet, copper sheet, beads (freshwater pearls)  and 0.8mm silver wire.

I thought long and hard about what to make and after some sketching, researching and twiddling I decided to make a pair of dangly earrings with a flower/organic  theme.

The first thing to consider was how they would attach to my ears. I thought that I could make copper "studs" in the shape of a flower and then I could drill into this to attach the other components.






I used a small punch to cut out 2 circles from the copper sheet. I then hand drew a flower shape which I cut out using a saw.






Yes this really is fiddly work. I then had to file the shapes smooth.
















Here they are all filed into shape. I also soldered tiny silver circles to the centres of these (these can be seen in a later photo).









For the next part of the "dangle" I cut 2 slightly bigger circles and using the silver wire rolled up as a pattern soldered them on to the circles on the front and the backs (I hate it when pretty earrings spin round and they are plain on one side). I also hammered them flatter.

I  drilled holes into the tops of these for attaching the components together, which I did using tiny silver jump rings.














I also wire wrapped some pearls with copper spacers and soldered posts onto the back of the flower "studs". So here are all the components using the 4 items for the challenge ready to assemble. Would you like to see the finished earrings.....? As ever it is so hard to photograph jewellery but with the help of my trust garlic bulb as a prop here were are.










I really like wearing these and now that autumn is here they look extra good,

So as I made you all jump with my new year declaration today's challenge card has to be a Christmas one. I have been busy making them as I have been selling lots in my Etsy shop.  I have just listed some new designs including a Magnolia stamp and of course my beloved Lili of the Valley. If you don't have any Etsy account just email me. The one below is up for sale too here

Today's card uses one of my favourite Lili of the Valley stamps. I bought it last year and I just LOVE it. It's called Moonlight wishes.


My image is hand coloured with Promarkers and highlighted with Prismacolor pencils.

I even did some embossing on my card..if you look closely I stamped a Santa and his reindeer on the backing card and then heat embossed it with clear embossing power and my trusty heat gun. I used some gorgeous silver snowflake die cuts and hand punched and embossed some holly leaves. I also used my fun photo corner punch. I used red pearls to look like holly berries. The cute tags are also Lili of the Valley .The blue ribbon also has silver snowy swirls in it.

I would like to enter my card into the following card challenges;
Lili's Little Fairies Classic Christmas
Whimsy cards All things sparkly #52
Simon Says Stamp Dies and/or punches
Bearly Mine Challenges Pearls and swirls #56
Sir Stampalot Punch away
Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas Challenge Snowflakes

The weather has turned really chilly now but the sun is out and the leaves are turning spectacular colours. I hope to take some photos over the weekend. My first job though in my garden is to take down my beans, empty some of my pots and get some more bulbs in. I am sure my Billy will be joining me out in the garden. Enjoy your weekend too, whatever you have planned. Thanks for visiting me,

Back soon,

Bye for now,

Jane x

41 comments:

  1. Holy Smokes Jane those earrings are beautiful! I really love them and all the components go so nicely together. I love the way you handled the pearls and copper wire. It looks so lovely with the flowers and bottom discs. They must look fab on and definitely one of a kind!
    The Moonlight wishes stamp and card is so cute and so well decorated. You can really tell how much you enjoy designing them by the end result ; )
    Have a great weekend, xoRobin❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Robin I was really pleased with my earrings, it all came together well. I love my Moonlight wishes stamp it is much loved and much used ;0) Have a great weekend too,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The earrings are stunning - love them. And your card is so beautiful - what a super image that is (it needs to go on my wishlist, which is growing more and more - lol!) - thanks for joining in my CHNC challenge 94 - hope to see you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your earrings are just beautiful, Jane, a real one of a kind, or should that be two of a kind?! The perfect accessory for the time of year - as you mentioned, the leaves are turning and are just spectacular at the moment!
    Love your LOTV card, that image is just delightful! Fab choice of papers and embellishments, too! Lisa X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Hazel and yes that stamp is one of my all time fave Christmas stamps...so magical.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL Lisa I suppose they are 1 of a kind as each earring, despite looking the same, is slightly different; the beauty of hand made eh!Thanks for visiting,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd be quite happy with a new year Jane, not that I want to wish my life away but that would mean 'C', and the winter would be over and I would have moved into pre-spring!
    Amazing earrings, such an amount of work goes into making them, looking forward to seeing what else you come up with this year at your class!
    Hope you got som gardening done today, the weather here was lovely.
    Enjoy the rest of your weekend,
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  8. flowers are so cute Jane! well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely jewellery and a fab card. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jane, your earring project turned out extremely professional and beautiful! You have great design skills! I actually found some of those sea beads online and bought a set - can't wait to get them. Love your cards! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good Sunday morning, Jane! I love your flower ear rings! Also I was thinking is it good to mix different metals but it is! Great idea to use garlic - it doesn't take too much attention, is light colour and fun!
    Beatiful card! The girl on the moon is so darling!
    Have a great day! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks such a fascinating hobby Jane and I've seen gorgeous pieces of jewellery that you have made and those of this post are no exception.

    The image on your card really is very sweet of such a pretty card. I can see lots of occasions the image would fit just by removing the Holly.

    Many thanks for joining our Punch Away theme at Stampalot challenge this.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good morning Vivienne, the sun is shining here again..love it! I managed to get the garden all sorted yesterday and it is looking great. Have a lovely Sunday, hope the sun is shining for you too.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Denise and great to see you again..glad to see you still making your sweet critters ;0)
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're very kind Teresa, so glad you managed to find some similar beach beads and sorry I had none spare to sell.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good morning Teje, my trusty garlic serves well as a prop doesn't it! Thanks as always for visiting, Happy Sunday,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Brenda, I so enjoy my silversmithing and jewellery making...I just wish there were more hours in the day! I was only thinking myself that this stamp could well work with other occasions if I took the holly away..I may well try doing that at some point. Happy Sunday,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous card! Love the image - so sweet. And your earrings are stunning! Thank you for joining in our Punch Away challenge at Stampalot this month, and good luck.

    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous card Jane :-) such a lovely image and the colours and details are fab, I love that corner die, so pretty :-)

    fabulous jewellery too ! Lovely earrings and so nice to have something original and not mass produced :-)

    thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Challenge :-)
    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  20. We all love one of a kind don't we Lols ;0) Happy Sunday,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Jane!...Your earrings are exquisite...I love the design..they look truly special indeed...you are very clever..I love to read these posts!
    Your latest card is so sweet..the Lily of the Valley stamps are always adorable and all the little details on your finished cards makes them so unique,
    Hope you have a lovely Sunday,
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks so much Susan ;0) You are always so welcome here as I find your blog a total delight.
    We are off out to enjoy this lovely sunshine, enjoy your day too,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello GF! I do love your jewelry and these beauties are no exception. The copper is a nice change from silver and gold and I love how the pearl stands out. I can't imagine cutting and filing those flowers...it's all very time consuming but the end result is stunning. Your card is gorgeous...love the image and the pearls acting as falling snow (well that's how I've interpreted it lol) The sentiment tags are super cute xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. You talented girl, you can make the most beautiful jewelry, cards, cakes... Everything! Those earrings are a real beauty, and just perfect for sunny autumn days, I am sure those different metals will reflect light so beautifully (not to mention the pearls!)!

    I wish you a wonderful new "season" for your silversmithing, I also have been enjoying my Spanish again this autumn!

    Lovely Sunday!

    Yours,
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yo Kerry great to see you here. I do like my new earrings and they go with most outfits...and yes the pearls are falling snow ;0)
    Speak soon,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ahh bless you Mia, you are so kind ;0) I must admit I do love all my crafts but I think my first love is my silversmithing ;0)
    Enjoy your spanish,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  27. The earrings are just stunning Jane, you are very talented. I love your cute little Christmas card. Thanks for joining us at Stampalot this month.
    Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Jane
    A gorgeous and beautiful card thankyou for joining us this week at Bearly Mine Challenges and you earrings are fabulous
    Hugs Dianne xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. You're very kind Pinky, thank you,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you Dianne, lovely to see you here,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gorgeous card Jane, beautiful colouring - thanks for joiningus at Lilis Little Fairies challenge, Mary G x

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love your jewelry making lessons even though I don't have any plans to follow them. It just makes me appreciate jewelry more, and your earrings are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  33. They certainly take time to create Linda.I am glad that you like them, they are fun to wear,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  34. very Christmassy card and your earrings are gorgeous too thanks for joining us at Bearly Mine Challenges Hugs Jess

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love this post - I too like to read the process involved in your makes, especially jewellery. Your course always sounds like so much fun, I used to do millinery courses before I had the boys.

    Good luck with the garden, I need to get my bulbs in this weekend as well!

    Bethx (thelinencat)

    Oh, lovely card as always - hope it wins!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks Beth, I'm always surprised how well these posts go down, I plan another one really soon. Thanks for visiting,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great card, I love the layout and the image. Thank you for playing along with us at Whimsy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; I really enjoy reading every single one of them.

To comply with the new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) May 2018 I wish to state that any comments left here are with your consent that your name & comment are visible to anyone who visits my blog and that you accept that your personal information is being used for that specific purpose.

Jane x