Sunday 22 January 2012

A lovely lucky long weekend

We really enjoyed taking the day off work on Friday to celebrate my Hb's birthday. We had booked a table at Brown's in Mayfair for lunch




I decided to take my trusty camera with me so that you could join us. As you know my Hb works in London and we were both born and raised there and even now we only live about a 30 minute  train journey from central London. It is my favourite city in the world and even after all these years there are still parts of it that I have not noticed/visited before.
Friday was a pretty murky day but we wrapped up warmly and took the train to Victoria Station and the tube to Green Park.















Green Park was looking very forlorn and bare. Parts  had been roped off to allow areas of  grass to be re seeded, ready for everyone to enjoy in the warmer months.











There are some rather lovely buildings in the area including the world famous Ritz Hotel. This is a really grand building even from the outside.





There are also some beautiful cafes and very expensive shops around....including....

































There is also the very beautiful old Burlington Arcade which has just been fully restored to it's former grandeur. This included re laying the marble
floors.

After window shopping in all these wonderful shops we arrived at Brown's for lunch. It was delicious. We shared a box of warmed Camembert for starters.


For main course my Hb had fish cakes and I chose Thai prawns and then for pudding he had sticky toffee pudding and I had Brown's Eton Mess. Mmmmm just the memory still makes my mouth water!
This was all washed down with a Bellini and a few cocktails.
After lunch we had a last look in the shops before we headed home. So do you think we came home empty handed.........







Well of course not. After all my Hb only has a birthday once a year and inside this bag is a wonderful new shirt I treated him to. Happy Birthday M.










Well it is Sunday evening already and I have one other exciting piece of news I was desperate to share with you all. After all these months of entering card challenges....lady luck was on my side and guess what.......yes I won....... take a look here  It is pure luck as all the names are put into the random number things....how lucky is that for me.
I could not believe it when I checked the Penny Black Saturday Challenge blog yesterday and there was my recent hedgehog card blinking back at me. I have won a  voucher to spend at the generous sponsor's on line store, so more lovely card making stash for lucky me.

Now as I seem to be on a roll (things are supposed to run in threes aren't they?) I am going to enter another card for some challenges today.

Now this is a really different colourway for me. As you know I am not normally a pink girl but I do think it works really well with the blue. I used another coloured image from the stamps I won from Kerry's giveaway.





Here she is in close up. I coloured her using my trusty promarkers and I added some glamour dust to the cake to give some real sparkle.







I have machined around the backing paper in blue thread and added a lovely pink die cut frame together with some blue ribbon and paper prima flowers. I have popped in a polka dot brad to the flower centres.
I would like to enter my card into the following challenges;

Ribbon Girl blue and pink challenge
Papertake Weekly buttons, bows, bling and blooms
Joanna Sheen Celebrations
Party Time Tuesdays Happy Birthday
I love Promarkers Anything goes
Secret crafter Food and drink

I am also submitting this as an entry to the Quick Cards Made Easy "Make a card for a celeb". I chose to made it for Alex Jones the One Show Host as I felt she did so well on Strictly this year and is such a self effacing lady. I also think she suits the pink/ blue combo being not too "girlie" a celeb!


Now if I think I am on a winning roll and things really do go in 3s.....where is that lottery ticket ;0)

Have a great week everyone,

Bye for now,

Jane x

44 comments:

  1. First....
    *H*A*P*P*Y* * *B*I*R*T*H*D*A*Y*!*!*!* to your husband! Thanks for taking us with you downtown. Lucky you! And..
    *C*O*N*G*R*A*T*U*L*A*T*I*O*N*S*!* on your card win! It's a beauty!
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Teresa I always find the fun American expression "Dowtown" always makes me smile as it's one we don't use here! We had a lovely lucky weekend.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to M and I'm sure he'll look very smart in his DKNY shirt.
    Thanks for the little trip around London.
    Congrats on winning the card challenge, I'm sure you'll have lots of fun spending your voucher.
    Your little card is lovely although you know I'm also not a pink girl but it does look great with blue!
    Happy new week Jane,
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jane, So nice to be back and reading your lovely post. I loved seeing all the pictures of London's finest. Happy Birthday to your husband. It's so nice you are not far from London, it makes trips so doable for frequent visits. Congratulations winning with your card design. I'm so happy for you. Two more wins to come!!! Your cards are really stunning.
    Hope you have a great week. xoRobin❤

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pics and a lovely card too. I like the colours. Thanks for taking part at I ♥ Promarkers this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOOOOVE this! Your cake looks real enough to eat! Thanks for partying with us this week at Party Time Tuesdays!

    ~Cely
    PTT DT member

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous pictures of London. Your card is adorable. Thank you for joining us at The Joanna Sheen Challenge this month with your gorgeous work. Good luck in the draw.
    Hugs
    Suzi (DT) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a great shirt Vivienne (and 1/2 price in their end of season sale no less!)You're like me with pink but I do like this combo. Have a lovely week.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi dear Robin, it's good to see you back and I do hope things are going OK? I won some stamps in a birthday giveaway recently so I really class this as a number 2 win...but I would love 2 more if that's not too greedy ;0)
    Take care,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lorraine, thanks and lovely to see you here.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Cely, I love adding glamour dust when I can..it gives such a great glitter effect on cards,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Suzi great to see you back. I have really enjoyed entering my cards into the "Celebrations" challenge this month, only one more week of it to go...
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jane, firstly congrats on your recent win. I just love the beautiful birthday card you are sharing with us today, the cake has my mouth watering and I love the soft pastel tones. Thanks so much for joining us at Party Time Tuesdays this week for our Birthday Bash.

    Danie - PTT Design Team.

    ReplyDelete
  14. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! How nice you had so wonderful time celebrating his birthday! Your card is also really beautiful and sweet!
    Have a lovely week! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations!! It's always fun to win things. It looks like the two of you had a wonderful time in London. Thanks for bringing us along :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. A wonderful creation hun! Thanks for joining us at PTW! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Dani and thanks for you kind comments,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  18. We had a lovely day Teje. Happy Monday!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Linda everyone says the fun is in the taking part but winning is a good feeling-LOL. I'm glad you enjoyed your "visit" with us,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello and thanks NGcards,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  21. beautiful card jane thanks for joining us at PTW hugs Jill xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Jill, thanks for your comment and for visiting me here,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  23. OH! Congratulations to you, Jane..I simply LOVED your sweet hedgehog card..well deserved. Happy Birthday to your dear hubby!! Wonderful that you got to spend it in your favorite city..(it is one city on my to-do's that I am dying to see/experience). I feel as though I will be so very delighted when I discover it for the first time too..but oh my, the photos just make me feel like I'm there! I would like to know what Eton's Mess is..that just sounds so very interesting! Recently, I experienced Salt Pond gelato. Something I'd never heard of but now I tell everyone about it..a must-do. Thank you for your sweet visit, Jane!! Glad you shared this wonderful treat with us. : )

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely pictures, Jane, and Happy belated Birthday-wishes to M! And oh, one of your beautiful cards won, I have been waiting these news, congratulations, dear!

    It seems that you do not have that much snow (we have plenty!), and it also seems so green and springly at yours *sigh* here it's getting colder as I type...That pre-spring is missing today :)

    Enjoy your week, and happy card-making!

    Yours,
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Shirley, London should definitely be on your must see list! Eton mess is a delicious desert make with meringue, cream and usually strawberries but Brown's version had cherries and whole hazelnuts....yes it was SO good. Take care,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Welcome back Mia I hope your trip was wonderful and you are well rested and full of creative energy. We have not had any snow this season at all, such a change from last year. It's very dreary here today, dull and wet but the bulbs are still growing away ;0)
    Keep warm my dear,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful card and fab pics!! Thanks for playing at I ♥ Promarkers this week!!
    Hugs
    Hazel xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Hazel, thanks for visiting me. I love the teddy on your blog logo!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  29. So enjoyed your pictures! I think you and your husband had a wonderful day. Your card is darling and congrats on the win!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks Lori we certainly did have a lovely day. Happy Tuesday!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Happy Birthday to your husband, Jane! What a lovely time you had together! You have had a lucky weekend...congratulations on winning the card challenge and receiving the voucher..enjoy choosing your treats! The new card is very cute.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Helen, I am enjoying choosing my treats. It is an american craft store voucher so I am trying to buy some things that I would not be able to find in the UK.Have a great week,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  33. I felt like I was in London with you Jane....fabulicious pictures! LOL...I say downtown too...ahhh reminders of home (other side though!) Well done on your win and good luck with your lottery ticket! Make a Wish Nikki looks gorgeous...definitely suits the pink and blue. I love the sentiment stamp...I MUST get myself some of those. xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. It was a great birthday celebration Kerry and a really yummy lunch!
    As you can see I am a great fan of circular sentiments and use them on most of my cards!
    Happy Thursday,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  35. what a gorgeous creation and love the take on the theme this week at the Secret Crafter Saturday Challenge
    hugs Kate xx
    ps I have some new candy if you are interested :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks Kate, I think the cake does look edible!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi Jane,
    Love your card. Such a lovely image & fabulous cake! Looks like you had a wonderful day out. Thanks for joining us at Secret Crafter's Saturday Challenge this week.
    Hugs,
    Andie xx

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks Andie we did have such a great day out and my Hb really enjoyed his birthday,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks for joining in with this weeks 'Secret Crafter's Saturday Challenge'
    Hugs Sonia xx

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thanks for joining us for the Ribbon Girl colour challenge with your lovely birthdsay cake card and thanks for the armchair tour of London. Mary G x

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi Mary so glad you enjoyed your armchair visit. As you know I'm not usually much of a pink girl but I thought the pink with blue theme was really interesting. Enjoy the weekend.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  42. How wonderful that was to read and such adorable pictures too, well done for winning the challenge sounds like you had a wonderful day with your hubby and came back to good news too. well done you . x

    ReplyDelete
  43. Thanks plouise. We did have such a lovely lucky weekend, amazingly I have had even more luck as I found out yesterday I won another card challenge! Enjoy your Sunday,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; I really enjoy reading every single one of them.

To comply with the new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) May 2018 I wish to state that any comments left here are with your consent that your name & comment are visible to anyone who visits my blog and that you accept that your personal information is being used for that specific purpose.

Jane x