Monday 9 August 2010

Summer colour in the garden

This summer, despite being late this year, has been so hot and sunny, especially here in Surrey. Although I have needed to use the watering can more my pots have put on a fantastic display. As I have mentioned before my garden is quite small and I use pots and baskets to my full advantage and I have them wheverer I can fit them in.

The real stars of this year have been my double petunias
 and also my geraniums.


This one has performed really well in a small hangingbasket.














I have also had some glorious colour from my dahlias below which have also attracted the bees.



A little busy bee can be seen at the centre of this unusual raspberry ripple variety of dahlia. We have been warned that there are fewer bees in our gardens but I do feel this year I have had many more than in previous years. Perhaps they too enjoy basking in the summer sunshine - or has this riot of colour also attracted them more?





And even Billy approves! Mind you he has spent a lot of the time sensibly finding shade amongst the flowers or on the patio.

I hope this splash of summer colour from my garden brightens your day too.

Bye for now,

Jx

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jane,
    Gorgeous flowers, I especially like the raspberry ripple dahlia, it's beautiful!
    How cool are cats, they certainly know how to be good to themelves, don't they. :)
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dahlia has been a real talking point this year, it really is just like the ice cream though sadly not edible.

    My Billy most certainly is one very cool cat, the vet in the past called him "Mr Billy"!

    Enjoy the sunshine and your lovely garden.

    Speak soon,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Jane, your garden is gorgeous, Monet would be jealous of all that colour! The wardens at our local woods have said that the bees have been affected by disease or something this year, early summer the ground was covered in dead bees, very sad, but 'tis the reason my hubby wouldn't get rid of the bees nest under my studio!! Lx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Laney, I am always amazed by the colours in nature, very inspiring!
    Those poor bees near you, we really do need them. I hope your nest is behaving under your studio...inspiration for some bee beads??!!
    Jx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; I really enjoy reading every single one of them.

To comply with the new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) May 2018 I wish to state that any comments left here are with your consent that your name & comment are visible to anyone who visits my blog and that you accept that your personal information is being used for that specific purpose.

Jane x